Sands
Please create an account with a username the same as or similar to your in-game name.

Travian S2R4 alliance

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Things I learned this Round

Go down 
AuthorMessage
solusscelus

PostSubject: Things I learned this Round   Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:32 am

I want this thread to be a place where we can share things that we did this round that either worked really well, or not at all. Please share your experiences too!
Back to top Go down
solusscelus

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 am

The Bad:
One thing that did not work out for me this round, was making my hammer a 7cropper. At -10k per hour, the extra 300 wheat doesn't help enough to be meaningful. A better choice for me as a roman would have been a 5-3-4-6 village, which closer represents the cost of EI, which I built 24/7 for months ( and they are expensive). Although, with the general overabundance of iron a 5-4-3-6, would probably be a better choice.

The Good:
I didn't have any oases attached to my hammer, which meant that if anyone wanted to take a shot at my hammer with a GH, they had to wade through the D that I always kept on hand. Some well fed spears helped as a deterrent too.

Good/Bad
I paired my main D villages with a cropper each, which would theoretically allow me to feed the troops quickly when they are on long trips. At this point all of those croppers have their merchants on non-stop trips to the WW, so it wasn't effective when I needed them most, but I still think it was a good idea.
Back to top Go down
DarthSkippy

PostSubject: what I learned   Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 am

The supply system works.

Wish I had not waited for WVF to straighten itself out.

I learned letting wheat rot because you have too much is not a sin

I learned that this alliance is as well prepared for this game as any I have ever met.
Back to top Go down
machwave

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54 am

The game is about economic choices (primarily production/infrastructure vs. military strength).

Bad - wasted my time (and resources) building EC's as an anvil thinking that they would be good def against cav or a good quick reaction force. When I went back and did the math, it was better to just build a ton a praets and spend the resources in other ways.

Good - learned how to feed 20k troops and be able to deploy them in the end game to the WW Smile

Back to top Go down
bobmaster96

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:11 pm

learned lots. if you dont know im running theduck2 now so i learned how to manage the largest accounts. I saw GH run mad all over the place and noticed how effective they can be. learned how to build, transfer resources, defend and arti, all on a large scale. good round for me.

bad.
i learned how much cordination it takes to stage large attacks, defend and chief. without good plannign your lost. and it fails. found this out the hard way.
Back to top Go down
terreciel

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:38 pm

I posted in here, I don't know what happened to my post though. Probably forgot to hit Submit. Apologies if this is already somewhere else.

I liked having assigned sections, rather than a free-for-all approach. I think it eliminates internal competition, keeps us together in one geographical location, and gives people a sense of ownership when they get a choice of where to settle within our parameters. However, next round, I wouldn't put us quite so far out in the boonies and I'd make the sections smaller.

I don't think I'd accept players who start more than 2 months late, especially first-time non-gold players. It takes them too long to catch up. Apologies to those who were new, started 4 months late and didn't use gold but became useful to the alliance by the end. It still took a long time to get to that point.

One thing I did that was especially effective was to start a small siege villa near the plans. We beat WVF to those plans, much to their surprise. I'd utilize this tactic again for artifacts etc.

While sitting a WW was a good learning experience, what I learned is that I don't really want to own a WW.

I'm sure I"ll think of more and add to this list.
Back to top Go down
DarthSkippy

PostSubject: What I learned the last day   Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:02 pm

1) WVF were surprised by our performance.

2) WVF still has no concept of Supply Management.

3) WVF won by having 3 to 4 players per position.

4) They spent like Druken sailors

5)WVF's Command and Control structure could not hold a candle to ours

Most of this information from Hej to me

Most of all WVF still courts me, though I would need a Lobatomy to go back to that mess.I learned that being in Sand/Dunes made this game fun again.
Back to top Go down
tyop

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 pm

I learned a lot about resource and gold management and more about how different romans are from gauls.

Early in the game is the only time I trade with non-alliance members. Later, I don't mind taking a loss in trade (with alliance members) when I have too much of something. I prefer to be more self-sufficient and I want to try harder next time to minimize NPC trades as well. I know that I need different resources at different points in the game, so I'll build accordingly.

This time around was the best communication and loyalty I've ever seen in all the time I've played travian. I think we could do better by refining roles and delegating responsibility but that also carries a bit more risk with spies/moles. There definitely needs to be more training and practice ops with newer players for coordinated attacks. If someone just can't cut it for whatever reason, then we should use those people for fakes. We did really good with creating chaos in the minds of our enemies and we had some damned good kills in there too Very Happy

Location... I liked being way out there but we could come in about 50-100 tiles from the edge of the map next time to be closer to the action but still out of the way. I'm not entirely sure about that. They will be after us next time, maybe we should change our alliance names and 'theme'. I know I didn't need 20X20 for space but I do understand that it gives everyone a fair claim on the types of tiles and oases we might need. What makes that so tricky is that the map is randomized and we were trying to give it order. It might be better to have areas assigned based on what role a player wants, like how active hammers tend to need more 15Cs than players who are taking on more of a support role. People like LT with his bazillion villages need them more than someone like me who didn't even make it to 15.

The most important thing I learned: I refuse to ever play with tcats again. Sorry if some of you don't like that. They were pushy and dismissive at the same time. I can understand enemy alliances being dismissive, we surprised them more than a little, they weren't expecting us. I felt like tcats was just using us to take some heat off them and treating us like lemmings or something. "Here, you can have this WW, just don't build it too fast that we see it as a threat to our own position." I have no doubt that they would have turned on us if it suited them. I felt like they were trying to run our show the whole time, rather than treat us as equals. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong but clearly we are *at least* their equals if not superior. Had we not carried their asses so much, I think we could have gone beyond them. The only drawback would have been if we chose to have a conflict with them at the wrong time then both would have possibly fallen further behind by endgame.

Possible evil plan for next round: We could go around beating certain alliances down just for the fun of it. Instead of the typical intent to win, we could go around making sure others lose Razz If we go in without some lofty goal of coming out on top, we might have a lot of laughs and a sense of pride when we totally wipe out a powerful alliance and watch the underdogs pick up the scraps. While they're busy sending counterattacks, the little guys are being left alone. We take the hits, rebuild, do it again Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
machwave

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Just a thought on having surprised some people: we won't get that advantage again. They'll be ready for us from the beginning and try to whack us as hard as possible as early as possible. Our tactics will have to adjust accordingly.

For example, they'll never leave us alone for so long out on the rim of the world in the next round. They'll harass earlier and more effectively. That probably means that we'll have to put our stronger, more effective player in between or create a buffer/demilitarized zone between us and the larger alliances to make it too expensive in terms of time and resources to truly harass us.
Back to top Go down
terreciel

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:24 pm

@ tyop: while people did have some choice in sections, they were given sections to choose from that were suitable for their intended roles. People who were planning large hammers got areas with 125-150% croppers and a higher concentration of 15 and 9c. People who were planning anvils got lower-bonus caps. This didn't always work out because a lot of people who'd aspired to be hammers ended up not.

@machwave: We will not be coming back under the same alliance name next time and many of us will also be changing our ign. Like you said, they know about us now Smile
Back to top Go down
tedgehring

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:46 am

I learned several things. So here they are in no particular order:

1) I agree this is the best alliance I have been in because in truth, even though we are from all parts of the country and we haven't met, I felt like people cared about me as a person. That helped get rid of the egos out there, which are always a danger in the alliance. I think that Terre made it certain that it worked as even when messages went out that scolded people, she did it in a way that we accepted!

2) One thing in leadership we need to differently next round, and we tried it this round, but it didn't always work, is have more people assigned to key roles. We seemed to have plenty of people for sit checking new players, so that worked well, but offense did not work. LT planned some attacks, HB did another and I did another. Real life came up for all of us though and it is just not realistic to have one person doing the planning to pull off coordinated attacks.

3) I think that the 20x20 sections actually worked for the hammers. I used all my croppers in my area except one I gave crimpet and I could have used that. With 32 villages, and I actually think I could have built more but work restricted my access and rl interfered with a perfect system of developement. I think for a possible plan for the next round is to assign 20x20 sections, making them much more together and in a square patern rather than a row. All anvils, hammer partners, and resource managers should be dispersed within this and they should expect to recieve no more than one cropper to fully develop to help the hammers. With anvils, etc. dispersed within the hammer areas, it would be easier to get defensive troops to players as they would be right on top of the hammers. Also, being more compact, we would be able to respond faster to any situation.

4) Dualing/Gold has to be manditory for all hammers as it is the only way next round they will be able to respond as we will not be left alone and if we are closer to the core we will be much more in the fray.

5) We have to get artifacts next round as we put ourselves behind everyone by passing on them.

6) Hammers need to have a great barracks to really push out troops. My hammer was 130k when I splatted it against the WW. If I had built a GB I could have built a whole lot more troops.

7) Need to start building cats by the third village and keep it quened even before troops as only had 6k cats by the end. Should have had double that or so.

Cool Raid from the 2nd village on as I didn't start raiding until half way through the game and that is millions of resources I passed on. This also is why a dual is necessary as raiding just in the morning and evening meant my troops sat a lot and were not productive.

That is all for now. Will probably think of more and post later.
Back to top Go down
terreciel

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:52 pm

I think that 20x20 sections are too big for some people. Otoh, if we all have duals, 20x20 might be the right size. MacT has already offered to come back and develop villas for others, as he doesn't want to manage more than 10. That might be an option to explore. I'd still want to have someone active in that role though.

I made my GH in a 7c, and I think I'd go at least 9c next time. or even make it in my cap cropper. It wouldn't be chiefable then.
Back to top Go down
terreciel

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 pm

What I was kind of thinking, about where people would settle: Once we figure out what the epicenter of our stronghold is going to be, we could put hammers around the outside edges and anvils in the middle. then hammers would have more room to expand, since it takes so much more wheat to feed them.
Back to top Go down
DarthSkippy

PostSubject: What I want to know   Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:33 pm

From people whom I pushed.

What worked, and what did not . So I can do better next time around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things I learned this Round   

Back to top Go down

Things I learned this Round
Page 1 of 1